Tuesday 17 January 2012

My preferred learning Style


The best way for me to learn is by using the new information I am learning right away. I don't have a good memory, so I have learned that if I can use the information as I get it, I retain more. This is also why I prefer informal learning, because on my own I can read one step, then try and then read step 2 and try it. I am not one to give up easily if I run into trouble. If I have a goal in mind I'll try and try again. Sometimes I run into problems because I rush the process, I try before I have full understanding and I go directly to the trial and error stage. The principles of Adult learning that most affect me are my need to be self-directed and to have a goal that I set. This is reflected in my preferred learning style, when I set the direction myself I will learn information that will be relevant and practical in my life immediately or nearly immediate. I am highly motivated by the goal and I will try and try again until I get to that goal, if I know it will matter to my life.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Cindy,

    Thanks for your thoughts on your preferred ways of learning. Learning by doing, and through application is definitely an important tool that teachers employ. There's a proverb about teaching related to this idea:

    Tell me, I’ll forget
    Show me, I’ll remember
    Involve me, I’ll understand

    Is this similar to your experiences? How do you think you could use the ideas behind this proverb in the classroom as an EAL teacher?

    -Kaleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaleigh
    I like that proverb. That definitely rings true for me. I think it might even be something to write on the board some time and discuss with my students. Examples of 'Show me' would be to bring items into class like clothing, receipts, recipes or videos. Examples of 'involve me' would be to go to the store as a class, make a recipe together, write a birthday card or plan a party. Also I think the 'involve me' means a teacher needs to consider the students needs and goals in the class.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy!

    I love being able to try out my new learning right away! Like you, I feel it helps it 'stick' better! And I'm guilty, too, of jumping into trial and error. I recently learned to crochet. After learning just two stitches, I thought I would be able to crochet an entire shawl - and off I went. But, I didn't know about lot numbers, a person's ability to add extra stitches on accident, how to tie off, and how to add a ruffle edging. I learned as I went and ended up with a shawl that had several rows that were a bit longer than the others, but, it is a warm shawl :).

    Kaleigh, that quote is one of my favorites. It so simply reminds us that the deepest learning must include true involvement.

    Thanks!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete