Wednesday 23 May 2012

Autonomy

Autonomy in a second language means you can go into a real situation where you need that language and you can communicate effectively with someone, without getting help with translation from your first language.

I have never actually been able to become autonomous in any of the second languages I have tried to learn. I guess I am too lazy or something like that. I lived in the Philippines for 1 year and I learned a lot but was not able to become autonomous, I either used a translator or the people I spoke with understood English. I wish I had been able to speak and listen autonomously because then I would have been able to shop in the market without help or participate in discussions as I sat with locals; I would have learned more about the people and been able to learn their stories without it first being filtered through a translator.
The other language I have tried (still trying) to learn is French. Autonomy in French would mean I could help my children in their French Immersion studies, volunteer in their classroom at school and communicate with my uncle Paul.

Autonomy doesn’t mean you are perfect in a language, it means you can communicate effectively even if you make mistakes or need to check for clarification.

1 comment:

  1. I like your honesty about not becoming autonomous. It proves that it is harder than it looks.

    ReplyDelete