Thursday 3 May 2012

Inspire and empower through discovery and creativity

 When it comes to teaching reading and writing in my ESL classroom I want to inspire and empower through discovery and creativity.

Inspire
 I want to inspire students to read and write.To start with, they may not know all the potential they have in knowing how to read and write and I want to give them good reason to want to do it. As the teacher I have the power to inspire them. It is good to show the students the potential of reading and writing. Changing the world, brightening someones day, expressing opinions, knowing what's happening int eh world and around them, learning something they are excited about; are some ideas to share with the students.
Empower
 I want to empower students to read and write anything on their own. I will not always be there for them so I need to give students strategies that will empower them to do it on their own. This means I can't just blurt out an answer I know they have the resources to find on their own; better to show them the resource and help them learn to discover it on their own.



........ the vehicle .......


Discovery 
The way to know something and be able to do it again will be for Students to discover it for themselves. It is an easy road for me to just hand out a list of words and definitions for them to learn but the easy road will not have the effect I hope for. I want my students to be inspired and empowered. Prediction, brainstorming, group work are all examples of discovery.
Creativity
Creativity stimulates thinking, it brings something different to the table and everyone has to take notice of it. Something new will stand out in their minds and they will learn quickly. Plus I don't want to be boring. Realia, pictures, drawing the story, acting it out could all be ideas to make it more creative.

It is very important to view the students as intelligent and interesting; they have a wellspring of knowledge, just not able to express it entirely in English yet, and it is my job as the teacher to help the students unveil that in themselves.
My experience -  I didn't like to read very much until I found the genre that was for me, then I couldn't stop reading. Everyone has a key interest that will pique their desire to learn and I hope to help my students discover it for themselves.

3 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    These are lofty goals - to inspire and empower through discovery and creativity! I like it. I especially like how you noted that it is important to view students as intelligent and interesting - even if they can't express that in the English language. Our perspective - and the one they develop of themselves as language learners from their experiences with us - will help do part of that inspiring and empowering!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    Thank you for posting such a thoughtful and inspiring entry. You mentioned that, when teaching, your intention is “to give students strategies that will empower them to do it (read) on their own.” I completely agree, and am wondering what kinds of reading strategies you have employed in the past when working with adult EAL learners (that are currently taking classes in the part-time program in which you teach). Which strategies have learners found to be the most useful? Which strategies did students struggle to understand or use when tackling a text independently?

    Thanks!
    Terena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terena and Jennifer, thanks for the comments.
    These are a few of the reading strategies I have used or encouraged my students to use: predicting what a text will be about by looking at the title; guessing at the meaning of a word by observing the context or looking for clues in the text or images; asking a classmate for help; using the dictionary or digital translator, or listening to the audio version of the text. How successful a strategy has been depends on the student and the material I gave them. When the material is interesting to them they are more interested in using the strategies to figure out what is going on. The books by Pat Neuman seem to always be a hit and the students learn a lot through reading those books. I will link it in my blog. We usually read together in class and they read the book at home, back in class we retold the story. I used many of the strategies I listed above to help the students learn. I think guessing at a word by looking at the context would be the hardest one for the students, it seems they fear that they will get it wrong. I try to help them see that it is ok to make a mistake. The strategy I saw as the most useful for learners this past spring was students asking other students for help. They all speak different languages and it is a struggle at times to communicate but they gain a lot through this.

    ReplyDelete